Family online safety contractOne of the tools you can use to protect your children is a family online safety contract where you can define internet usage rules for parents and children in your family. When you’ve created such a contract, your children will know what is expected of them and what they are can or cannot do, as well as your obligations as a parent.
We’ve collected a few sample contracts that you can use as a basis. You can use them “as is”, amend them to suit your family’s specific needs and the age of your children, or create your own.
Tips for creating a family online safety contract
- Explain to your kids that the contract is meant to help them and keep them safe and not to limit them or make their life difficult. Talk to them about the potential dangers of online life such as cyberbulllying, sexting, and online predators
- It could be a good idea to sit down and define online house rules together. If you decide to use one of the sample contracts listed below and your kids suggest a change, try to understand why. They may be right!
- Make sure you read through the different sections of the contract with your children and that everyone understands each and every item.
- Everyone should sign the contract – parents and children – to confirm that they have read and understood the terms and that they agree to them.
- Once everyone has signed place the contract in a visible place next to each computer in the house.
- As your kids grow, the contract may need revising.
Following are a few contracts that are available online. Look through them and see if you can find one that suits your family’s needs.